Monday 18 June 2018

SEPSIS 'A Life Changing Experience'

The following is an excerpt from The National Library of Medicine National Institutes of Health by T. Butler.

Newly named in 1989, Capnocytophaga canimorsus is a bacterial pathogen found in the saliva of healthy dogs and cats, and is transmitted to humans principally by dog bites. This review compiled all laboratory-confirmed cases, animal sources, and virulence attributes to describe its epidemiology, clinical features, and pathogenesis. An estimated 484 patients with a median age of 55 years were reported, two-thirds of which were male. The case-fatality rate was about 26%. Its clinical presentations included severe sepsis and fatal septic shock, gangrene of the digits or extremities, high-grade bacteremia, meningitis, endocarditis, and eye infections. Predispositions were prior splenectomy in 59 patients and alcoholism in 58 patients. Dog bites before illness occurred in 60%; additionally, in 27%, there were scratches, licking, or other contact with dogs or cats. 


Some published figures state that up to 74% of dogs may carry the bacteria that causes C.C.



It all began one night in May 2015. It had been a lovely weekend and I'd spent the day
giving the car a well deserved clean and wax. I'd always considered myself very fortunate
having never had any serious medical problems throughout my life, but this was about
to change in a way that I could never have imagined. In the early hours of the following
morning I became feverish and my wife Cathy was so concerned about my condition that
she immediately contacted the emergency services and I was transferred to my local
hospital in Redditch. After an initial assessment I was taken to the ITU department as
the duty doctors weren't able to make an immediate diagnosis of the problem. I should
mention at this point that I have no memory from going to bed that night until some weeks
later. Within a very short space of time things took a turn for the worse and my main organs
began to shut down. It was then that doctors decided to put me into an induced coma to
prevent any further damage and to allow them to do further tests to find the cause of my
illness.  Swabs were taken and sent to Heartlands hospital for analysis.
    I later remember vaguely slipping in and out of consciousness and different members
of medical staff asking me questions about my condition. It appeared that no one at the time
had the slightest idea what my condition was. Eventually the results came back from 
Heartlands and it was identified as an infection called 'capnocytophaga canimorsus' and
as the name suggests is passed on through saliva from a dog carrying the infection.
Doctors were asking if I had been bitten recently (which I hadn't) but my main concern
was whether my german shepherd pup which we'd only acquired two months earlier may
have carried the infection. As it turned out she was not the carrier, so we will never know
for sure how my infection came about.
     Within a few days of being hospitalised my fingers and toes had turned black and
become necrotic and it was obvious at some point that they would need to be amputated.








   Necrosis of my fingers and toes happened very quickly following my admission to hospital



I clearly remember the skin on the palms of my hands coming away was like a thick parchment.
















I reluctantly removed this post as I thought many people may find the subject matter
a little uncomfortable to say the least. However, now three years on I have decided
to publish my condition as it has now become so widespread and 'sepsis' is now 
being talked about quite widely.  Sepsis is becoming more and more common
worldwide and the medical professionals are being trained to spot the signs early
in able to combat the life changing injuries  that this terrible condition can leave
behind. At present, the mortality rate for anyone contracting sepsis is very high
and death has occurred in a high percentage of cases. 
I hope my experience will help anyone who may be in the same position as
myself and survived the initial crisis.  My treatment is still ongoing and antibiotics
are still being administered intravenously to combat an infection in the bone of
my right heel.  At this very moment the prognosis is not good and there's a real
chance that I may lose my lower leg. The course (antibiotics) is now in it's third
week and I've been told that it's a six week course that could be extended should
the need arise. I will update as and  when I have more information.
To date I have all my toes amputated and most of my fingers so I've had to make 
a few adjustments to my lifestyle along the way.  The good news is I can still make
my straps and for that I am very grateful!

I will post some more pics as I go along, they're not pretty but it will give people who
are not aware of this devastating condition some idea of what it's all about.
It's a 'warts and all' synopsis and I make no apologies for that.

The following pictures describe better than any words the extensive damage to
both feet.













Wednesday 4 July 2018

Have met with my consultant again today and the bad news is it's looking more
likely that I will have to have a 'below knee' amputation of my right foot sometime
in the not too distant future.  In a way I'm almost glad that this is the outcome as
I have undergone a lot of pain and discomfort over the course of the last three
years with seemingly no light at the end of the tunnel. Anyway, at this time I am
awaiting an appointment at Selly Oak hospital here in the West Midlands to
discuss my ongoing treatment and hopefully to find out what my options are
following the procedure. I will update as soon as I have had the meeting .


Tuesday 9 October 2018
Tomorrow's the big day.  I have a meeting with my consultant to see the results
of my recent MRI scan on my right foot. This is the one that has some infection
in the heel bone which is not looking good at the moment.  The scan will give
him some idea if the infection has spread further or stabilised. The outcome
of this will decide if he advises amputation or not:(


Sunday 25 November 2018
Following a meeting with my consultant last week I had the news that I was
half expecting. The results of the MRI scan showed that the infection in my
right foot had deteriorated despite huge doses of antibiotics. The next step
unfortunately is a below knee amputation which has been scheduled for
30th November (bed permitting).

Sunday 9th November 2018
Well folks, my amputation went ahead as planned without any complications.
I'm now back at home recovering, being looked after by my dear wife Cathy.
She has had a lot to manage over the last 3 and a half years including changing
the dressings on both feet daily. On the lighter side, there's only one foot that needs dressing, Things are a little more tricky now as I am completely wheelchair bound
but fortunately still able to access my workshop and continue working. 
This alone has been a big plus for me as above anything else I need to keep 
myself busy.  

Sunday 20th October 2019

Nearly 12 months since my last post and it's been a pretty eventful year.
I am now the proud owner of a below knee prosthetic leg and am wheelchair
free (mostly).  This has changed my life quite dramatically as I had been
reliant on my wheelchair for so long.  Of course, what I've missed most is not
being able to drive. I've recently had my car converted so that I can drive using
my left foot.  Sounds easy but in practice I've found it very difficult to adjust and
to anyone in the same position you have my utmost admiration. I'm sure that
with more practice it will become second nature!





No comments:

Post a Comment